Thursday 16 February 2017

Task 1b & 1c combined - Starting to evaluate Professional Communication Technologies

Reader 1 on Professional Communication Technologies explores the use of social networking in the workplace. Already I have outlined my use of Web 2.0 alongside my professional acting career. The idea of remixable data and transformations relates directly to usage of Web 2.0 forums such as https://www.dropbox.com/ and https://wetransfer.com/ where I can share my acting material and screen reels with my agents or casting directors. The Bruns' theory that we are both the producer and consumer of the media shared online is relevant in this case. Once I have shared a clip openly with someone else - it is in their hands to edit and amend how they want. This process of 'produsage' claims that 'artefacts generated are no longer products in a traditional sense: they are always unfinished, and continually under development'. In the scenario when I open a self-tape up to a critical consumer - produsage comes to the forefront of my mind. My clip is open to be subjected to being edited by the consumer by means of software on their personal devices.

Privacy is an ethical issue that may occur alongside produsage. I am more than happy to allow my personal media to be developed by my agents and so forth - however, I would hate to think that this footage would ever land in unsavoury hands. This is where the privacy settings during the sending process of footage becomes important. Dropbox, WeTransfer and YouTube all contain privacy settings on media that I share. Dropbox actually offers the use of a specific password where only people who know this password can access the material. I find this, alongside the private view setting on YouTube, really handy for my audition material. Regardless of 'unsavoury hands' finding the footage; I also don't want any of my footage to be on public display until it has been cleared and edited by my agents. This relates back to the importance of how we present ourselves as actors on Web 2.0 forums. In task 1c we are asked to use YouTube as a medium to record an audio-visual summing up our experience of the course so far. My experience with YouTube as a Web 2.0 platform will assist me on this task - as will my experience self-taping, to get a good set-up on my filming.

Reader 1 also discusses harnessing collective intelligence on Web 2.0 platforms. Gruber uses Facebook as an example of this mass communication. I would like to add that I find out a lot of recent current affairs first and foremost from Facebook. Facebook users are so quick on the mark at sharing tragic or amazing events that have occurred. Statistically this makes perfect sense - If you sum up the sheer amount of people who have access to write an opinion / share an event or update a status at the touch of a button; then of course the news I hear about is most likely to come from this forum of Web 2.0.

However, an interesting slant which dawned on me whilst reading Reader 1 was that Instagram is probably the biggest gathering of visual collective intelligence. We are slandered with thousands of instant images daily on Instagram - many of these specially honed to our own interests (a part of Web 2.0 intelligence which is expanding all the time). A particular sector of the Instagram Web 2.0 collective intelligence sector which I find ever-expanding is the health & fitness section. I am forever flooded with healthy food inspiration and various work-out ideas on Instagram. This is a positive reinforcement of collective intelligence - and I believe harnessing it in a visual manner reaches out instantly to the masses.
On a personal level - I use Instagram as an architecture of participation and platform to present myself, my thoughts and my vision. 
Another lightbulb which sprang into action whilst reading Reader 1 was how I take the freedom of online participation completely for granted. All of the Web 2.0 forums which I use are totally free. This allows the age-old freedom of speech right to be developed by the individual who chooses to use their social media as platforms for their practice. 

Most recently, I set up a Facebook group for the students of BAPP starting in Spring 2017. This is to allow us to share ideas, discuss problems and to use as a general forum to stay in touch throughout the modules.

'Web 2.0 advocates that through reducing these barriers and making participation cheap, easy and quick, people are more able to get involved in the processes of collaboration, sharing and interaction.'
- Reader 1, Middlesex University 2016 ©, p.4

This is a perfect quote from Reader 1 which highlights the reason why I started up the BAPP Facebook group.

I will continue to explore the ideas, theories and issues raised in Reader 1 in my blogs, including ethical considerations. I want to read more on the subject from other sources and continue to blog about professional communication technologies.

'L'internet rend le monde un petit village'
- TR. 'The Internet makes the world a little village'



4 comments:

  1. Hi Eleanor. Reader 1 also made me feel the same and how I take it for granted. It highlighted for me that some people do not have the skills, money, time, infrastructure or other factors to advocate the web 2.0 but for me it is something that is easy and a big part of my life. As I am know using it in a big way for my practice I feel it is important that we go about it an ethical way to not discriminate those who cant. I hope you can share view this view point in a similar way?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lauren, Yes I definitely share your view point regarding the correlation between web 2.0 and our practices.
    I think since studying it - it has just brought to light simply HOW much I use web 2.0 as a forum for my professional presentation etc. I think it is forever changing and we will always build upon it. I definitely think it is worth keeping up with web 2.0 in our fast-moving industry! I'm sure you too have experienced the wacky lengths people go to in order to promote themselves! If we can keep up with this in our own unique, creative and professional way - then I think we are doing more than enough :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Eleanor! I've been looking through your blog for inspo and it's really helped!! I started this course last month and it all seemed so daunting. The work load along side general work and life seemed impossible. You've really made me see the light! Loving your thoughts and positive attitude. I'm working on my Module 1 and think it's a great idea that you made a Facebook group to discuss ideas etc... I'll defiantly add myself into it so thank you for that! Hopefully comment and discuss more when i'm up to date with my current work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Katie! Thank you for commenting - I really write with no boundaries on this because I always forget people can actually read it, then I tend to feel a bit shy that my thoughts are being shared... so nice to know you think along the same lines or have gathered something from my blog :) Would you mind sharing the http link to your blogspot account here in comments so I can follow you too? Love reading other people's blogs with similar mindsets. Best of luck starting module 1, we're all in the same boat - this course seems to be very open and allows us room to explore, so I try and not stress about the work (even though sometimes I do)
      Eleanor

      Delete