Thursday 9 February 2017

Task 1a: LBM Actor's CV


http://www.lbmactors.com/members/eleanor-byrne/

I graduated from drama school in July 2016, having moved over to London from Dublin in September 2013. My final year in drama school was a whirlwind of opportunities; in-depth productions; plenty of performances and, above all else, thrilling experiences and exciting times.
The most common word to come out of my peers' mouths during that hectic time was 'Agents'.
For those non-actors / performers who are not familiar with 'The Agent Game', I will explain briefly... An agent is a personnel who acts as your manager in order to work together to obtain professional work.
I felt excited and blessed during my third year to be entering into such an exhilarating profession. It was spelt out quite simply to us - an agent is not the be all and end all; however they are an extremely beneficial stepping stone during your first year out as a lone soldier (or in my case - actor).
Once graduated, life began to slowly merge back into reality. Work was scarce but needed and creative time was valuable and rare in order to be able to work enough to survive in London. In total - it was a vicious circle and just to survive at times seemed near impossible (dramatic I know, but what do you expect from a drama student?)
I soon realised adult-life was not going to be a walk in the park. There were two ways to approach this situation
1 - I could have crawled into bed and binged on never-ending cycles of 'The Crown' (relevant research for my career, but only beneficial when in moderation)
2 - Choose to take the situation into my own hands; take control of my creative life and mould it into the beginnings of a shape I would be proud of.

I chose the latter.

I have always been proactive but I chose to step it up a notch since graduating. This precious piece of advice has stuck with me - Do something everyday which furthers your career.
This can be something as minute as going to the gym in order to maintain your physique, but no matter how small - I always bare in mind the grand scheme of things.

I got in contact with an Irish actor's agency - Lorraine Brennan Management - and fortunately managed to arrange a meeting with them thanks to the help of my London agents. This decisive step and vision in my career has furthered me to become dually represented.
I have linked my professional actor's CV on Lorraine Brennan Management's website which I invite you to have a look at.

I think, at the end of the day, we can't expect magical happenings to occur overnight. Sure - there is a hell of a lot of luck involved in the acting game, however I genuinely believe we are the masters of our careers. As Natalie Dormer (Game of Thrones star) puts it - 'It took me 12 years to get to where I am, but anything worth fighting for can take time. It is a marathon, not a sprint.'

No comments:

Post a Comment