Friday 10 February 2017

Spotlight... The acting industry working hand in hand with the online platform

http://www.spotlight.com/0810-1200-0962


For those non-performers out there - the word 'Spotlight' will simply be perceived as a noun which means a light used to highlight a certain area, generally onstage. To those more 'stagey' folks - 'Spotlight' fills us with mixed emotions. One emotion being a feeling of dread due to the yearly Spotlight fee, and another being a feeling of gratitude towards a company which strives towards getting performers work & offering us advice.


In a nutshell - Spotlight.com is a website which any performer worth their salt, actors included, is a member of. Spotlight sets you up with a page which includes your headshot, contact details (or agent contact details), appearance details and credits. This way - casting directors and other industry professionals can view your page and agents can submit you for castings. It is a worthwhile website to be a member of and I believe it is essential to use every tool available to you in this rough ocean of 'show business'.


My Spotlight can be easily linked and therefore it is accessible for people in the industry to view. I have my Spotlight CV linked on my Twitter and Facebook. It basically is a forum where people can easily access my professional information and get a rough idea of my casting and specialities. I make sure to keep my Spotlight up to date (i.e. by adding any new credits I have). My agents all have access to my page and can make amendments which they see fit.


How you advertise yourself is how you are perceived by others.


More and more the acting industry is becoming sped up by technology. This could be viewed as a negative thing... But why look at the glass half empty? As a kid of the techy age I aim to seize this revolution within the industry for my own advantage. If this is the way it is going - then there is no point in dwelling on the downsides; you must make the social media and online aspects of the industry work to your advantage.


THE (web) WORLD IS YOUR OYSTER (*side thought* maybe that is why those ridiculously over-priced cards of 'freedom' are christened that?)                                        



No comments:

Post a Comment