Wednesday 15 February 2017

An intro to Reflective Practice

It seems a lot of my educational life I have been forced to tick boxes to meet a certain 'criteria'. This way of learning has not developed me as a person - sure it has helped my memory retention and my ability to submit to a structured order - but the real question is - has this form of learning strengthened my reflective practice?

During my first week of BAPP, I have started to read 'Reflective Practice' by Gillie Bolton. I think this is an excellent indicator and confirmer of what the course asks of us and requires us to do. Since talking to both of my course leaders - it has become clear that we will not be spoon fed on this course. This excites me - because I believe this particular 'free' form of learning suits me as an academic.
To be allowed the freedom to explore my own opinions and develop my thoughts and mind-set enthuses me to put more time in to the study of my passion.
It means there are no limitations. I like being able to use quotes I myself have come across and find useful. I find this type of study the most enriching kind.

This self-evaluation form of studying also helps me develop further intellectually. By being told what to do - I don't believe we use the full potential of our academic minds.



Whilst beginning to read Reflective Practice I came across a good quote which seems to embody the essence of the open-mindedness of the course -
'A pedagogical text like this one should not be composed and studied as if it were a technical handbook that specifies effective procedures… Rather, [it] needs to possess an inspirational quality together with a narrative structure that invites critical reflection and possibilities for insight and that leads to a personal appropriation of a moral intuition (- Van Manen, 1991, p.9)

I found this reference to the text reflective of the criteria of the BAPP course - just like the course indicates; no one will give me strict guidelines to adhere to or tell me directly what to do. Learning things for oneself is very much a big part of the Professional Practice experience.

This course is also giving me the opportunity to set aside reflective time for myself. I find the blogging aspect highly enjoyable and almost therapeutic. There is something I enjoy about putting my thoughts and theories into writing. On a personal note - this course is giving me the opportunity to gain time back to myself and allowing myself the time to think since graduating from drama school. This time is precious because so often I get caught up in trying to survive financially in London. Blogging is something that goes beyond the course for me - I believe I will continue my blog into the future. Surely this is a reflection on the course too - I am learning life skills in my professional practice.


The quote I have used in the imagery of this blog comes from Cheryl Strayed. I watched Reese Witherspoon's portrayal of this non-fictional character the other night in the movie 'Wild'. I believe this quote embodies the freedom we get from facing challenges head on and overcoming them with our own strength of mind. I hope I face challenges in a positive light during this course and this can be a skill I carry with me throughout life.

No comments:

Post a Comment