Monday 13 February 2017

Task 1c prepartation: Self-Tape

Self-tapes are becoming more commonly used in the screen acting audition world.
They have their pro's and con's - however I believe, with the media revolution in the acting world, the pro's are greater.

Using Web 2.0 forums such as Dropbox, WeTransfer and iCloud are all skills I have gained since entering the tech-savvy, and often last minute, world of self-taping. Online media relations with my agents are essential in my communication with them. We often need to work together in order to deliver a well-presented, as professional as can be self-tape to casting directors.

This is an example of a short self-tape I had to do. It was one of three script sides I had to learn for an audition for a part in a series. I have attached this just to show the rough idea of a self-tape - by no means is this self-tape perfect, but it gives the general outline of how the lighting, sound and positioning should be. (Emphasis on the word 'general' - every self-tape criteria is different depending on the role and job in question)

I use the tools of my iPhone and iCloud when filming and transferring the clips. iCloud offers a fast, effective track to upload self-tapes from my filming device onto my laptop (where it can be edited). I also invested in a small tripod which my iPhone attaches to - providing a steady and angle-flexible method of filming.
I believe my trial and error of filming myself for self-tapes will assist me in Task 1c - Visual Audio documentation of my experience of Module 1 so far. I aim to film this in good light and with my self-tape equipment so it can coincide with my practice and be a beneficial learning curve for my self-tapes. I have planned a few potential dates in my diary when my housemate can assist me in this filming. Filming takes pre-planning when myself and my housemates have such busy schedules.

In my opinion, self-tapes are a huge contributor to our online presentation. I am letting onlookers form their own opinions of my craft therefore I want to pitch the product with as much professionalism as I can manage.

I use self-tapes as a form of self-correction. I evaluate each tape I do and I try and pick out what I like and dislike. By using this method of self-evaluation I can use self-tapes simultaneously as an audition and learning process. Both are equally useful in my practice. Often times, I can tell if I am really listening or not. When acting I believe it is essential to be connected through the eyes. As is so often stated - the eyes are the gateways to our soul. I find it difficult to become connected if I am disengaged to what the other actor is saying. Truth stems from listening and I like to dissect my self-tapes to decide whether or not my truth is coming across.

'Hearing is a good sense to develop as a truth monitor'
- Mark Rylance

No comments:

Post a Comment