Monday 2 October 2017

Relating to Crawford

Since starting to read 'Joan Crawford Not the Girl Next Door' I have noted down some quotes which have stirred something in me. As it happens, I find Crawford incredibly relatable.

"Through dancing, I became a dramatic actress. It's so important to have the opportunity to explore the world and yourself, to have the chance to test yourself. I tested myself, and I passed." (Crawford, p. 9)

I began dancing aged 3. I grew up taking extensive lessons and grades in ballroom, Latin American, ballet and pointe. My performance experience as a kid always consisted of choreography. That was just expected of kids in a stage production. I moved to London aged 18 fully believing I would continue to strive towards a career in pure dance. However, deep down I always knew I had a passion for acting. It just became clearer when the three disciplines (acting, singing & dancing) began to separate into three distinct industries. I always loved performing and perhaps I used my dramatic tendencies to perform onstage as a dancer. It has become evident now that acting is my strength, but thanks to the medium of dance.

"Don't turn down parts, especially at the beginning when each part you turn down could be the last one you're ever offered" (Crawford, p. 30)

This is Crawford's advice to young aspiring actress. I haven't yet turned down a part. I am for the motion of getting as much experience as I can.

"I always want to succeed on merit, not on the casting couch" (Crawford, p. 31)

This is Crawford's comment on a girl saying she got the position because the director personally liked her best. In this industry, people will often throw snide / underhanded remarks at you. When I originally got interest from an agent I remember somebody saying 'Oh but that's because she has that look'. I am not denying that this industry puts heavy emphasis on particular 'looks'; however I will equally say that if you don't bring the goods as an actor - you won't get very far. You have to have the ability and mindset to match a certain 'look' (whatever that may be...)

"She didn't like crowds. Crowds bothered Joan all her life. Crowds made it seem warmer than it was and they made her feel "small and lost"." (Chandler, p. 33)

When I initially moved to London, I remember feeling rather anonymous in a huge, crowded city. It got me down a lot. People came across cold and insensitive. In time I realised that everybody was just busy and preoccupied - not inherently cold. London is, on a bad day, a busy yet lonely place.

"A person who has a good opinion of herself conveys that to others, and they start to have a good opinion of you" (Crawford, p. 35)

This quote ties in with the question Adesola mentioned in her blog 'Is it possible to represent your Self ever?' and also the idea that the degree course encourages you to figure out who you are and where you fit in amongst the industry. A stronger sense of Self is a wonderful asset as an actor. My sense of self has become stronger yet I believe throughout the modules and in life it will grow even more.

"You have to go to everything you can go to, do everything that will get you seen, and you have to do it with a lot of energy" (Haines, p. 35)

This is William Haines' industry advice to a budding Crawford. I believe this reflects my proactive approach to life... Expressed in some of my previous blogs - I reiterate my lust for life and to 'go do!' when it comes to your career and broadening your mind.

" 'Hold something back, Joan. Control all that wild energy or you'll wear out your audience right away.' I listened and learned" (Crawford, p. 46)

The above is Edmund Goulding's advice to Crawford regarding screen acting. Screen acting is a learning curve which I am currently experiencing. In my early self tapes I gave too much (over expressive etc); then I gave too little (looked contrived and stiff) and now I am simmering down to a happy (but never perfect) medium.

If Crawford listened and learned - then it must be a foolproof method of discovery!

No comments:

Post a Comment