Sunday 22 October 2017

Advice to Module 1 and 2 on 'THE BIG QUESTION'

Module 2s are currently being thrust with the task of finding that 'question' for our inquiry... In order to find this - it is advised to discover a Big Question (or a few big questions...) relating to directly to our own practice and experiences in order to branch out from that.

Today, during the campus session, we got into groups to discuss ways in which to explain said Big Question phenomenon that is hard to grasp - it's understandable yet sometimes hard to articulate. The Big Question is relevant to both module 1 and 2, as it is as much about finding out who you are as a practitioner as anything.

We found a good way to visualise 'grasping' this Big Question - an image of an umbrella containing a big question and the droplets form the smaller subheadings which are more personal and relevant to us. At the start of the session, I had in fact jotted down 'For an inquiry question - is it ok to have a broad umbrella that subheadings stem from?'

Summarising this analogy of The Big Question resulted in something along the lines of :
Think of the biggest question in the smallest way and most relevant to you and specific to my practice.
Personally, as a module 2 student, I think the route to finding my inquiry question is asking what is the big question reoccurring throughout the study of my practice and my previous blogs. My job now is to refine this question into one more specific to me and my line of practice.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Eleanor,
    thanks for sharing this for those of us were unable to make the campus session. It seemed to prove really helpful. I think I will definitely take the approach as I move forward with trying to identify my question. Emily x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Eleanor,
    I am going to try this approach now.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Kirsty

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great way to view the big question. Thanks for sharing what you guys got up to :)

    Emma

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Eleanor

    Thanks for sharing this. I am going to use this as I look to develop my question today

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  5. To add to this idea/analogy of the umbrella i see the handle as the main theories/concepts and ideas that are holding your topic together!

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eleanor - this pist JOGGED MY MEMORY! Was a little lost for a while and was getting caught up in the "Topic" rather than the actual "Doing".

    Cheers! M

    ReplyDelete