Thursday 5 October 2017

Broadening Questions Ethically (Group Discussion & Task 4A)

2 days ago, I partook in a group Skype discussion where Adesola brought up the concept of 'POINTS OF WONDER'
I got thinking how my initial inquiry questions brainstorm could lead to bigger, ethical questions.
Self-respect preparation and editing led to
"What is perfection?"
Other questions / topics that spiralled from this included:
"Talent is subjective: is talent a nature / nurture occurrence?"
"Can you teach / learn perfection?"
"Is mindset a large partaker in helping you to be successful in a harsh industry?"

Ethical Questions

Our questions can evolve into larger, worldly issues / questions. We can discover these by opening the box more and more.

O found an interesting link from a question I was asking to a piece of literature I am currently reading: It appears some actors (or indeed professionals in the industry) fear the ride of self tapes. I think this reflects the fear which Crawford remembers when she notes that many actors feared the big change from silent movies to sound in movies.

From this - another ethical issue relating to my professional practice kept to mind:
"Do we fear change or embrace it?"

Trying to piece together all of these overlapping questions proved difficult in my head. Instead, I resorted to penning the ethical issues I have come across so far in my studies and furthermore writing down the sub questions which relate directly to my industry.
Rough mindmap of sub questions stemming from main ethical issues

2 comments:

  1. Hi Eleanor, I found your question 'is talent a nature / nurture occurrence?' really interesting. Do we need to make people feel comfortable in order to grow? Or, does that comfort stop the creative process from being fully explored. I'm a big believer that the best ideas/thoughts/actions come when you run out of the 'ordinary' or mundane. Its when you dig deep into your brain that sometimes the best ideas come, but could this happen if we 'over-nurture'?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jessica,
      I like your take on this question - and it could definitely be an interesting angle to look at this topic with. I think sometimes the best art can come from something being stripped back, for example getting to the rawest part of somebody's personality can bring out the best performances.
      Eleanor

      Delete