Monday 26 February 2018

Human Nature - The Theory of how we are Judged




Yesterday I set out to gather together all of the previous research and 'quote-collecting' I have done during my literature study. I wrote them all down collectively in my reflective journal. This gave me clarification of where I am going with my inquiry - in other words, it helped to theorise my inquiry.
My topic of 'appearance within the acting industry' is heavily surrounding the theories of human nature - culture, historical epoch, textuality, class, ethnicity, sex, gender, age, degree of social power.(Lopston, 2006). From this stems my study of what we deem as 'popular', 'correct' or 'good'. My research led me to an article by journalist Martha Gill - "Should we be judging people by their looks?" in which she alludes to the possibility of phrenology (a 19th Century theory that the contours of the skull are a guide to an individual's mental faculties and character traits). Judging someone by their appearance is an ethical issue as it verges on the edge of being deemed as discrimination. Equally, when reviewers comment on actors' appearances it may be damaging to the actors' confidence as they may take 'appearance' comments as a lack of acting talent. Below is a quote regarding actress Vivien Leigh's performance in the film "Dark Journey".
"Vivien photographed exquisitely, a fact that no reviewer could overlook. But vanity was not one of her character traits, and she despised the idea that she was being commended only for her beauty" (Edwards, 1977 p.57)
I am collecting first hand experiences documented in distinguished actors' biographies. These help me to identify with the acting industry and to draw links or differences with other peoples' experiences. My inquiry and analysis will be framed with educated articles from industry professionals i.e. Joseph Pearlman's concise article on the subject of what makes a "winning" self tape.
These will be added to as I progress with my literature studies and find more relevant information as well as aspects which my topic of interest may need to touch on.

https://www.newstatesman.com/science/2013/11/should-we-be-judging-people-their-looks

https://www.britannica.com/topic/phrenology

https://www.backstage.com/advice-for-actors/backstage-experts/10-tips-winning-taped-audition/

No comments:

Post a Comment