Thursday 1 February 2018

Before the storm...

January kick-started with a whole host of exciting and practical plans regarding improving myself as an actor. I booked to start a Meisner Stage 1: Emotional Connection course with the Salon Collective at the beginning of January. This week marked my third class on the course. For fear of sounding terribly pretentious - this week I had a 'break-through' moment in regards to my exploration and study of the Meisner technique. The Meisner teacher advises:
- to act on an impulse
- to retain simplicity, detail and honesty
- to repeat a line before you accept or reject it
- whatever your partner states - you must accept it's their truth
- to bring the tension you may feel onto your partner
- to use less work, less effort and take less responsibility
- to do nothing - explore more
- not to deny anything
The pure human connection which takes only two people repeating realisations / observations is utterly exhilarating. I want to take these techniques with me whilst filming self-tapes.
As well as the Meisner course, I have started to attend Shakespeare Practice Group every second Sunday. The first workshop style class last week opened my eyes to a stripped back, effective set of principles when working with Shakespeare script. The main focus being on the text and delivering that coherently and effectively. I know I have a lot more to learn and apply with this technique and I am happy to be able to attend these sessions over the next few months. I feel as if they will be incredibly helpful to me as an actor.
Last Monday night I attended the premiere of an episode of a comedy series called 'The Expert' that I was in at The Constellation Creatives CoLab, The Hospital Club Covent Garden. This was a lovely experience as other film and series work were screened. After the showings, we got a chance to talk to various film makers, actors and script writers. I think these types of nights are highly beneficial for actors.
Today I began workshops on the play 'Eris at the Wedding' by John King with director Robbie Taylor Hunt. Workshops are a fantastic 'safe space' to try out new things and collaborate with actor and director alike. They also keep me practising my craft which is always a win.


Entering into February and the beginning of Module 3 - I can only hope to keep up this proactive lifestyle alongside solidifying a worthwhile and interesting inquiry.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Eleanor, Really interesting to see what you are learning through the Meisner technique. Although I am working in the field of dance I feel that many of the points you have listed could also apply to the performance of a dancer. Look forward to seeing your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Eleanor,

    Great BLOG - I've a few friends/ex-teachers that run Salon Collective so I'm glad you're enjoying it! Also, the Cockpit is the best!

    Do you find that engaging in conversations with Directors, Writers and other Creatives help you better understand your work as an actor? Even if it's not the "technique" of the craft itself (I.e Storytelling)?

    Cheers Eleanor. Hope to see/hear you soon!

    Matt (M2)

    ReplyDelete