Saturday 26 August 2017

Using Time Off Wisely



Productivity can be relaxation. Because being self-employed technically means you can choose your own hours (to a certain extent) or how much / hard you work - time off can feel like you're cheating. REMEMBER - the average hard-working person has 2 days off a week, AND set holiday periods.
However, if I'm like most actors, during my 'time off' I still like to do something that is fun but lends to my career. It actually makes me feel more 'relaxed' to work on something small that will help me in the acting world. After all, trying to work enough to earn money during the year leaves not a lot of time to do creative tasks which need doing. Therefore - time off, with no 'muggle work' per say, can be the perfect opportunity to excel in your professional practice.
On a my recent time home in Dublin, I booked in a filming session in the Dublin office of Spotlight, at Bow Street. It was good value for a half hour session - including high quality equipment and top class direction. I really felt I gained something from the session. I learned that filming a short scene requires progression and thought. Next time I do a self tape I will make sure to think about the moments I can lay off the breaks - and those that I can throw away.
I chose a scene from 'Sing Street', as it is close to my casting and in my native accent.

No comments:

Post a Comment