Saturday 19 August 2017

Quest to Honing the Acting for Camera Technique

I have had a lot of training and experience in theatre acting... but screen acting is a whole different ball game. It is something I am willing to step up to the challenge for. In the past week, I have had 4 completely different self tape auditions to do for various jobs - some ranging from one or two lines to 3 page script dialogue. I have included self tapes, filmed by Wolfpack Productions (who offer a great value self-tape service to actors). http://www.productionwolfpack.com/
I can clearly see my mistakes on screen. I am always picky about how I move my head / twitch an eyebrow or whether or not I believe myself.
However, I know it is essential to scrutinise my on-screen performance if I want any chance at getting better.
The more often I do self-tapes, the more natural they become. By stripping back my performances - I became rigid. This was an important step towards a pulled-back performance, yet it took time for the stripping back to begin to look natural rather than stiff. At the end of the day, I am still being 'me' to a certain extent on camera... so by preventing myself from having any form of natural movement at all just takes away from the truth. I am by NO MEANS a perfect screen actor now - I STRESS I am still very much work in progress - with the ODD moment of a break-through. I just think it is important to assess your progress if it is something you want to pursue as an actor.

No comments:

Post a Comment