Sunday 12 March 2017

Unveiled Opportunities


I went to see Ceara Dorman's self-written and performed play - 'Unveiled' on Thursday the 9th of March at The London Irish Centre located in Camden. I became aware of this one-woman play via my Twitter feed. This consolidated for me the importance of using social media by means to network and self-promote within the industry.

I felt as if I could equally and as effectively use this forum to advertise my own work. I have just filmed a scene of original material with my friend and I am becoming more tempted to share my professional practice work on social media sites (obviously only after they have been edited). I want to get a realistic and across-the-board response from friends and industry bodies alike. The only way I will get better is by throwing myself into a project, self-critiquing and from there creating more work and scenes which I am happier with. That way I can start to build and mould myself into the actress I aspire to be.

The play itself stood out to me on the Twitter platform because its subject matter - The Magdalene Laundries. This is long period in Irish history of a major injustice against young women which has been swept under the rug socially and creatively - with the exception of a handful of plays and the iconic 'The Magdalene Sisters'. I have a scene from this movie in my current screen reel.
The severe injustice thrust upon these innocent women was horrific and it resonates with my historical past and heritage.


I am passionate about this subject so it excited me to see new material performed by an Irish actress about the often untold stories of women victims at the hands of the Catholic Church.


I attended this show with my actress friend and co-writer. We assessed the venue and discussed a few pointers about putting on a production there with Ceara after the show. The show took place in The Chapel in The London Irish Centre.


AFTER-THOUGHTS / RELATING THIS EXPERIENCE TO MY PRACTICE


I loved this intimate venue and saw this experience as an opportunity to begin to plan my own project. Myself and my friend were full of ideas to put on our own play of the writing we're currently working on. Hopefully this venue could be a perfect stepping stone for us.
We are performing one scene from our work at The Hospital Club, Covent Garden on the 27th of March 2017. We are part of the show called 'The Constellation Creatives CoLab'. This will be a good event to test the water of our new material.

No comments:

Post a Comment