Tuesday 14 March 2017

Task 2c: Reflection-On-Action

'The actor is the sole collector of data on the event'
(Kottcamp, 1990)
After my initial reading of Reader 2 - I began to relate it to my professional practice. Professional artists are used to being the 'sole collecter' (As Kottcamp puts it) / authority on their own work and ultimately they decide what they think of their work.

This leniency and ownership of our professional work leads to reflective practice. An actor must think about the work they are producing. In college I was always told I approach practical subjects with an academic mind. I viewed this comment as a negative because in a predominately practical course, where kinaesthetic learners could thrive, I sometimes felt slower to the mark. However, it came to light in my final year that my verbal-linguistic approach to my studies was entirely effective within my Shakespeare study. I believe actors can have any of the different styles to engage with understanding and learning (taken from Gardner, 1983) - and yet we can all be equally compelling in our performance, regardless of what style of learning we gravitate towards.

This leads me on to my 'reflection-on-action' (Kottcamp, 1990) study in regards to my professional practice. Last week I had a scene filmed which myself and a friend co-wrote. When I initially looked back on my first take, I was highly self-critical. I nit-picked every little thing I was doing that I disliked. After retaking the scene I felt better watching it back but there was still a load of things I could have done better. After lightly beating myself up about this - I decided to look at it in a positive light.
  1. Nobody can get better at their profession without practice.
    Conclusion: Therefore I have taken the first steps on this journey specifically to get better at acting for camera and the subtle nuances and techniques which are effective on screen.
  2. This was my first self-written scene so it was a bit of an experiment to see what works and what doesn't. Instead of criticising what I don't like about the scene - I could take this self-analysis as an exciting step toward writing more material. The idea would be to make each piece slightly better than the last and learn along the way.
I know my heart is in the writing and I know it is raw. I just need to use trial and error to see what works and to stay motivated.
Yesterday I received the first draft of the edited scene. I began to use the technique of reflection-on-practice to self-analyse my performance. There were aspects I picked up on which I hadn't initially when I had first watched the snippets on camera. Once the scene was pieced together I trusted more in my ability to non-judgementally assess the scene. My head was clearer as I reflected-on-action. I was able to single out sections and moments which I really enjoyed as well as take mental note of what I wanted less of for next time.



I think stepping away from the action helped me evaluate my experience better.

'Acting is great. You spend your whole life trying to get it right.'
(Stuart Townsend)

References

Kottcamp, R. B. (1990). Means for Facilitating Reflection. Education and Urban Society, 22, 182-203

Gardner, Howard (1983) Frames of Mind the Theory of Multiple Intelligences, New York: Basic Books

Stuart Townsend. (n.d.). BrainyQuote.com. Retrieved March 14, 2017, from BrainyQuote.com Web site: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/s/stuarttown207525.html



2 comments:

  1. When reading reader 2 I made a note that I believe I am a person who uses reflective observation to learn. Again I have found myself doing this. I love to be able to see if other people are thinking the way I am thinking and how you are showing your understanding of things. Your post is so clear and to the point about how we always find the bad rather than the good in ourselves. I suppose part of that is because we are in an industry where we are always getting criticism in order to improve ourselves. I really enjoyed reading this and look forward to seeing in the future how we use reflection in action more and looking at the positives in our work rather than the negatives.
    Kirsty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah Kirsty, it is always a revelation to me when I realise some people think along the same thoughts as me. I suppose our reflective practice is so personal to us - it's nice to read other people's experiences and see do we differ or relate. I look forward to seeing other people's reflective journeys.
      We may as well look at the positives in our work and take self-critique as a positive action - because, at the end of the day, who else will? :) wishing you all the best on your reflective path :)
      Eleanor

      Delete