Thursday 16 March 2017

Campus Session


The above photo was my first impression of Middlesex University, Hendon Campus. I was eager with anticipation for my first on-campus session for BAPP.
As discussion ensued between the small group of Module 1 and Module 3 students and Adesola; one thing became clear - the journey of this course is not about ticking boxes but more about exploring branches of ideas and analysing events that relate back to our professional practice. The outline of the course became clearer - and it reassured me that this course is a discovery and analytical process of our professional practice.

Theories
We explored how theories are the core of our practice - they are at the heart of our actions, reflection and practice. I visualised this as the theory to be the core of the Earth. Events are the wave fronts and faults which result in the discovery of ideas or realisations on the surface - epicentres, if you like.
Many ideas and observations branch out of the theory as we study our practice deeper.

Ethical Issues
On reflection, I began to think of ethical issues as the fault scarps on the surface or the tremors which occur from underlying activity. Effectively, ethics are another theory which need to be addressed within our study of our practices. These may open questions and vary in opinions to shake our initial thoughts - but it is essential that they are present.

Rhizome Learning
This imagery reflects the rhizome idea which Adesola brought up today. This idea of learning really made sense in my head. The study of our professional practice is not one that goes in a straight line. We can envision the three main theories - Communication Technologies, Reflection and Networking - as blades of grass and the exploration of these as roots interconnecting and overlapping under the surface (Or magma bubbling and stirring beneath the Earth's crust).

Relating Theories to my Practice
I will read about the theories but relate them to my practice and my creative work. I aim to use ethical issues and values to explore the theory and not take the theory itself for granted.
I realise rhizome learning was present as my study on communication technologies brought to light Gardner's theory of the different styles of intelligence (Gardner, H, 1983). This proves to me that the theories do in fact overlap.

Bechdel Test
A theory which I want to explore more is the Bechdel Test. This is a test initiated by Alison Bechdel (Bechdel, 1985) that studies Hollywood films and the rules require a film to include:
  1. The movie has to have at least two (named) women in it.
  2. Who talk to each other
  3. About something besides a man


A character in Dykes to Watch Out For explains the rules that later came to be known as the Bechdel Test (1985)

I reflected upon my own script-writing and whether or not my material would pass the Bechdel Test. I concluded the first scene I have written would not pass the Bechdel Test due to the content on conversation circling around a man / men and their actions. How did this make me feel? As a young woman facing a career as an actress in the 21st Century, I am not entirely sure how I feel about this realisation. Perhaps it is not an apt reflection of my work and thought process as it is only the first scene I have written - I know I have many other ideas of material topics. I will perhaps observe my work in the future once I have a bigger body of work. Reflecting upon my study of acting during college, the majority of monologues and duologues I performed would not have passed the Bechdel Test. Does this make me rethink the industry I am in and how I want to be perceived in my profession?

Journal of British Cinema and Television 'Old Age' Films: Golden Retirement, Disposession and Disturbance
This is the journal which I picked out today during the library section of the campus session. It was written by Josephine Dolan. One of the references in the journal sparked my interest - 'Aging Femininities Troubling Representations' (J Dolan and Tincknell, 2012) 
To coincide with my study of the Bechdel Test - I figured this book may be of great interest to me in the studies of the history and progression of the acting industry.

In writing it's easier for random additions to go unnoticed. This is why reflection on action is so valuable to me as a practitioner. Everything, as disjoint as they may seem, must be connected and related with my thoughts. This is most evident for me at the minute with my script writing. I am beginning to think WHY do I put certain subjects in the play I am working on. These subjects are not random or disjoint - they have reasoning behind them.
Perhaps my first piece of writing not passing the Bechdel Test tells me something about my mind set at this moment in time. My study of these theories and heavy influence of reflective practice may result in creative ideas seeping into my writing.
'Aging Femininities Troubling Representations' - A Book To Read

References:
Bechdel, Alison (1985) Dykes to Watch Out For, Firebrand Books
Dolan, J and Tincknell (2012) Aging Femininities Troubling Representations
Gardner, Howard (1983) Frames of Mind the Theory of Multiple Intelligences, New York: Basic Books




2 comments:

  1. Thankyou for this blog Eleanor. I am gutted I was unable to attend the first campus session. But from reading this I feel I have a good understanding of what was looked at on the day.
    I will have a look into rhizome learning!
    Hopefully get to meet you at second campus session as I can attend that one.
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it will be lovely to meet you at the next one. We are all busy people so I suppose it is a novelty if we can make the campus sessions! Yes definitely have a read about rhizome, it really helped me visualise our style of learning.
      Eleanor

      Delete